The constitution of the Tequila Regulatory Council (CRT) was approved by the Mexico's General Bureau of Standards (DGN- Dirección General de Normas) in the terms established in Article 70 of the Federal Law on Metrology and Standardization (Ley Federal sobre Metrología y Normalización) now Articles 55 and 56 of Quality Infrastructure Law (LIC-Ley de infraestructura de la Calidad) to monitor and certify compliance with the Official Mexican Tequila Standard, (NOM-006-SCFI -2012 –Alcoholic Beverages-Tequila-Specifications) and (NMX-V-049-NORMEX-2004 – Alcoholic Beverages Containing Tequila - Denomination, Labeling and Specifications), and is accredited by the Mexican Accreditation Entity, A.C. (ema-Entidad Mexicana de Acreditación) under the (NMX-EC-17065-IMNC-2014- Requirements for bodies certifying products, processes and services), as Certification Body.
The main normative references that apply to the Certification Body are:
- Quality Infrastructure Law – (LIC - Ley de Infraestructura de la Calidad)
- Regulations enforced by the Federal Law on Metrology and Standardization (RLFMN - Reglamento de la Ley Federal sobre Metrología y Normalización)
- IP Law (Ley Federal De Protección A La Propiedad Industrial (LFPPI) y su reglamento)
- NOM-006-SCFI-2012-Alcoholic beverages – Tequila – specifications.
- NMX-V-049-NORMEX-2004- Alcoholic Beverages Containing Tequila - Denomination, Labeling and Specifications.
- NMX-EC-17065-IMNC-2014, Conformity Assessment - Requirements for organizations that certify products, processes, and services.
The Certification Body of the Tequila Regulatory Council (CRT) is the only Conformity Assessment Body accredited to certify compliance with the Tequila NOM following the certification scheme for products that have Appellation of Origin, established in Article 8, modality IV of the Policies and Procedures for Conformity Assessment (POLEVAS by its acronym in spanish). The certification and inspection procedure for products subject to compliance with Official Mexican Standards, the responsibility of the Ministry of Economy (Secretaría de Economía), is approved by the Mexico's General Bureau of Standards (DGN- Dirección General de Normas), which recognizes its results.
A Certification Body is the accredited and approved legal person whose purpose is to perform certification functions, and its constitution is approved by the competent bodies in the terms established in the Quality Infrastructure Law (LIC).
The main activity of the Certification Body is to certify compliance with the Tequila Standard and follow up after the initial certification through a permanent inspection to verify compliance with the standards, as established in article 60 of the Quality Infrastructure Law (LIC-Ley de la Infraestructura de la Calidad).
The certification of a product; It is the act by which a third party testifies: "That confidence has been obtained about the conformity of a product, process or service, and that it complies with a specific standard or with other normative documents".
This measure is taken by an impartial third party, which is precisely the C.R.T., which guarantees that the Tequila complies with the regulations applicable to Tequila.
The certificates that the CRT Certification Body grants are:
- Certificate of compliance with the standard (Certificado de Cumplimiento con la Norma): It is the document issued by the Certification Body through which it is verified that a specific product complies with the specifications established in the Tequila NOM.
- National Tequila commercialization certificate (bulk) (Certificado de comercialización Nacional de Tequila (granel)): It is the document that is issued at the request of authorized Tequila producers and only covers the transfer by lot to an approved bottler.
- Certificate of authenticity for the export of Tequila (bottled / bulk) (Certificado de autenticidad para la exportación de Tequila (envasado / granel); document issued at the request of a party and covers only the lot subject to export.
- Product conformity certificate for beverages prepared with or based on Tequila (Certificado de conformidad de producto para bebidas preparadas con o a base de Tequila): It is the document issued by the CRT that is issued at the request of a party, who has demonstrated compliance with NMX-V-049-NORMEX-2004, Alcoholic Beverages- that contain Tequila.
- Certificate for the export of alcoholic beverages containing Tequila (Certificado para la exportación de bebidas alcohólicas que contienen Tequila).
- Consolidated certificates for the export of Tequila and products with Tequila (Certificados consolidados para la exportación de Tequila y productos con Tequila).
Other services offered in the Certification area are:
- Issuance of Certificates of certified product with NOM-006 and NMX-V-049 (Current)
- Issuance of the Registration Number (Número de registro) that accompanies the NOM Official Password.
- Certification of brands, Co-responsibility Agreements and Registration in the register of bottlers.
- Attention to requests for inspection of maquilas
- Validation of facilities and equipment
- Issuance of Passports for the transfer of Agave Tequilana Weber blue variety.
- Register of plantations of Agave Tequilana Weber blue variety.
- Update of properties (predios) / balances, of Agave Tequilana Weber blue variety.
- Proof of the existence of blue variety Agave Tequilana Weber properties (predios).
- Transfers of Agave Tequilana Weber blue variety.
On this web site, we have a database so that our partners and clients can consult all the necessary requirements for the certification of Tequila, drinks that use Tequila as an ingredient, as well as the consultation of brands that have been certified by this Certification Body, both for national commercialization and for export.
As complementary services, the Certification Body offers:
- Particular requirements of Tequila for the Certification
- Requirements for the Registration of Plantations of Agave Tequilana Weber blue variety
- Requirements for the Registration of: Trademarks, agreements, authorized bottlers
- Technical support on the Tequila commercialization process
- Professionalization for the management of the software used by the Certification Body.